Condensed cream of chicken soup is so simple to make. You don’t need to buy the can of pre-made soup with a giant list of ingredients, some of which you can’t even pronounce.
These are the only ingredients you need. You probably have all of this stuff in your pantry right now. You could even use the milk of your choice to lighten it up a bit.
Just bring the chicken broth and the seasonings to a simmer. In a bowl, whisk together the half n half and the flour, and whisk the milk and flour mixture into the broth. Keep whisking for approximately 2-3 minutes until the soup thickens. That’s it!
Whatever you don’t use right away, you can store in an air tight container for about a week.
I use it in my skillet chicken divan, which is a simpler version of the classic chicken divan recipe. By the way, it tastes divine!
With a few ingredients you already have on hand, and just a few short minutes, you can make a healthy version of condensed cream of chicken soup. And…you don’t even have to make a trip to the grocery store!
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup half n half
- 1/4 cup flour
- In a saucepan, bring the broth and seasonings to a simmer
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and flour until smooth
- While whisking the broth, slowly pour in the milk and flour mixture and continue whisking for 3-4 minutes until the mixture bubbles and thickens
- Remove from heat
- Refrigerate for up to 1 week
- This recipe will make the equivalent of 1 can of store bought condensed cream of chicken soup
- To lighten up the soup, substitute a low fat milk.