Fish Tacos are one of my favorites! Flaky, flavorful white fish topped with a tangy slaw and a creamy sauce. How could you go wrong! This is a super simple recipe that produces gourmet results. Fish tacos, which are common place in Baja Mexico, are coming to the midwest!
This is going to take no time at all! Season a flaky, white fish (I used cod fish) with some cumin, chili powder, and lime juice. Cook the fish in a pan on medium heat until it falls apart, about 7-8 minutes. You can use fresh or frozen fish, either will work great. If you use frozen fish, be sure to thaw first. There’s a tangy slaw that adds a great crunch. It’s just some thinly sliced cabbage and red onion, some chopped cilantro, salt and pepper, and lime juice. Remember that creamy sauce I mentioned? It is equally simple. In a food processor add some lime juice, mayonnaise, a jalepeno pepper, a clove of garlic, a handful of cilantro, and chop.
Here’s the hardest part of the whole recipe… you have to choose between soft and hard shelled tortillas. I tend to use soft corn tortillas, but crunchy shells would be great too.
Fill the warmed tortilla of your choice with fish and slaw, then top with the sauce.
All that’s left to do is dig in, and let yourself be carried away to Mexico!
- 1 pound cod fish
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 of a small head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 limes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray, stack on top of one another, and put on baking sheet in preheated oven
- Liberally season both sides of the fish with the chili powder and cumin
- Squeeze the juice of one lime over the fish and set in the refrigerator
- In a bowl, combine the cabbage, red onion, and half of the cilantro
- To the cabbage mixture, add salt and pepper to taste and the juice of two limes, toss and set aside
- In a food processor add the mayonnaise, juice of one lime, jalapeno, garlic, and remaining cilantro
- Chop until creamy
- In a non stick pan, on medium heat, cook the fish until falling apart about 7-8 minutes
- Remove tortillas from oven, top with fish, cabbage mixture, and sauce
- You can use any firm, white fish you like...fresh or frozen (just be sure to thaw frozen fish)
- Use more or less jalapeño to regulate the spice