Pasta salad is one of my go-to recipes for a quick and easy snack for the kids. It’s colorful and pretty and healthy and flavorful and delicious! And because there is no mayonaise, this is a great dish for a picnic. Pasta salad is great for an afternoon snack or a late night bite! You could say it is timeless (ha ha).
All you need is your favorite pasta, some olive oil, some red wine vinegar, your favorite cheese, your favorite veggie, and to keep the kiddos happy I threw in some uncured turkey pepperoni. I used vegetable rotini, cheddar string cheese (so it’s easy to cut uniformly), and broccoli. Substitute any of your favorites and it will always be delicious.
Boil your pasta according to the package directions. I always add some salt and olive oil to the water to flavor the pasta and keep it from sticking together. About three minutes before the pasta is done, I add the chopped broccoli to the water. When it is done, drain the pasta and broccoli and refrigerate. While the pasta is cooling, I cut the cheese (did I just say that?) and the pepperoni. When the pasta is cooled, add the cheese and the pepperoni (minus the three or four slices my husband ate, ok…maybe I had one too). Next add some vinegar and oil and toss it all together.
How good does that look?! So simple but so delicious!
- 16 ounces rotini pasta
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 cheddar string cheeses, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces uncured turkey pepperoni, cut into fourths
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Three minutes before pasta is done, add broccoli to pasta water
- When pasta is done, drain pasta and broccoli and refrigerate, about 30 minutes
- When pasta is cool, add cheese and pepperoni
- Add oil and vinegar and toss
- Substitute your favorite pasta, veggies, and cheese